Vetri's Pasta RecipePrep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
1 1/4 cup Tipo 00 flour
1/3 cup semolina flour
9 large egg yolks
4 tsp water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine both flours
2. Either on a mat or in a mixing bowl, create a well in the middle of the flour
3. Add egg yolks, water, and EVOO to the middle of the well
4. Using a fork, stir flour into the wet mixture. Mix until combined
5. Knead dough for 5 minutes until dough is smooth and silky in texture without any grainy lumps
6. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
7. Rest in refrigerator for at least 1 hour until use
8. Prior to rolling, let dough thaw at room temperature for 1 hour
9. Rolling the dough is easiest with a pasta roller, but a good old rolling pin can work too
10. This video from Martha Stewart is a great example of how to roll pasta dough
11. Cut dough into thirds then into halves for total 6 pieces.
12. Dust your pasta machine with 00 flour mixed with semolina flour
13. On setting 1, roll pasta dough through the machine
14. Fold dough in half "hamburger" style and feed through machine again on setting 1. Repeat this 1-2 more times to give dough more texture. Dust dough with flour prior to next step.
15. Next, turn machine to setting 2 and feed dough through machine. Repeat fold and feed steps 2 more times. (You will be pressing dough 3 times on each setting). Repeat on next settings until you get your desired thickness. I usually stop after setting 5.
16. Cut dough as desired for spaghetti or fettucchini or leave dough whole for ravioli or lasagna.
17. Dry on a pasta drying rack for 5-10 minutes prior to cooking.
18. To cook, bring water to a boil with oil and salt. Add pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes to desired consistency. If frozen, cook for 5-6 minutes.
Use this pasta recipe to make Butternut Squash Ravioli!
Post a Comment