French Onion Soup RecipePrep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
1 stick butter
4 onions, quartered and sliced into 1/2cm slices
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 sprigs of thyme
1 32oz carton and 1 14 oz can beef broth
1/4 cup white wine
2 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Baguette - sliced and toasted
6 large slices of gruyere cheese and parmigiana cheese
1. Cut onions in half - slice into 1/2 cm slices and cut each slice in half again
2. Melt 1 stick butter in a large pan
3. Add onions, thyme sprigs, 1tsp salt, and 1tsp sugar to the pan.
4. Caramelize onions over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring only occasionally to allow for browning. Do not let onions burn.
5. Next, add the broth, salt, and pepper. Let simmer covered on low heat for 40 minutes. Add white wine and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
6. Ladle soup into ramekins or oven-safe bowls. Top each bowl off with a slice or two of toasted baguette and a slice of cheese.
7. Place bowls on a baking sheet in the oven on the top rack and broil on high for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
8. Let cool 5 minutes before serving as bowls will be very hot.