Russian Tea Cake RecipePrep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes (20 min per batch)
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
2 cups butter at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups powdered sugar for coating
1. Cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy
2. Add vanilla extract and stir just until mixed
3. Sift flour and salt into the butter/sugar mixture
4. Knead thoroughly until a dough forms and all the flour is mixed through
5. Mix in chopped nuts and knead again until incorporated
6. Chill dough for at least 1 hour
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and take dough out of refrigerator
8. Scoop a small amount of dough into your hand and pack the dough tight while you are rolling in order to prevent cookies from cracking during baking. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet with at least 1 inch in between cookies
9. Bake each sheet for 15-20 minutes until cookies are golden - make sure not to let them burn!
10. Once out of the oven, let cookies cool on the rack for 5 minutes then toss in powdered sugar to coat.
11. Set cookies aside to cool completely
12. Once completely cool, toss cookies in powdered sugar for a second coat
13. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks
Just a touch of gold
After the first coat of powdered sugar
Ok I'll admit, there's no lavender in this recipe at all but I had just gotten a lavender plant and they were too pretty to resist including in my pictures.
Special thanks to Sarah Abdallah for letting me share her recipe.
Post a Comment