In addition to boots and jackets, Fall is the season for pumpkin spice everything. Last year I shared a recipe for pumpkin spice bundt cake, but this year I wanted to try something a little less traditional, a little more fun. And what could be more fun than pumpkin spice donuts? Recipe adapted from Baker by Nature.
The wonderful thing about these donuts is their light cakey texture, the best kind in my opinion. Not to mention that cinnamon sugar coating just brings out the pumpkin flavor in every bite!
Pumpkin Spice DonutsPrep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 12 donuts
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup milk (I used soy milk which works wonderfully)
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
For sugar coating:
6tsp butter, melted
2 cups sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350F and grease two donut pans
- Mix pumpkin puree with melted butter. While stirring, add in milk
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add flour mixture to pumpkin batter and fold just until combined. It is important not to overmix or you will end up with chewy rubbery donuts
- Bake for 10 minutes until dough spring back when touched
- Cool for several minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to complete cooling
- While donuts are cooling, melt butter. In a separate bowl combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Once cooled, brush donuts with melted butter then dip donuts into cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with the other side until entire donut is covered.
- Enjoy! It's even better with a hot cup of coffee to accompany.